A leading catalyst for change
Our unique investment approach underpins our successful position as the leading catalyst for the development of a commercial agricultural sector in sub-Saharan Africa. Trace our history below.
- The idea behind AgDevCo conceptualised.
- AgDevCo incorporated as not-for-profit distribution organisation, registered in the UK. Activities in Mozambique started, with support from the Norwegian government and others.
- AgDevCo provides the first round of loans to six start-up agricultural businesses in Mozambique as part of the Beira Agricultural Growth Corridor (BAGC) initiative.
- AgDevCo is invited by the Government of Ghana to assist in developing commercial agricultural projects.
- AgDevCo receives funding from the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Mozambique.
- AgDevCo receives a number of grants, including from the Small Foundation, to expand activities, strengthen operational capabilities and increase investment in Mozambique.
- AgDevCo plays an early role in developing the Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor of Tanzania initiative.
- AgDevCo receives funding from the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and the Dutch Directorate-General for International Cooperation (DGIS). Also receives funding from the Small Foundation.
- AgDevCo team expanded to 25 staff.
- First investments announced in Tanzania and Zambia.
- AgDevCo office opened in Zambia.
- AgDevCo receives further support from the UK's DFID to expand its activities, as well as from the Small Foundation.
- AgDevCo Malawi established and Tanzania office opened.
- AgDevCo’s fifth anniversary.
- AgDevCo receives funding from DFID Mozambique for country-specific activities.
- New initiatives underway, including working capital facility, and a dedicated smallholder farmer support programme.
- Further funding received from DFID for expansion into Uganda.
- Launch of LAFCo, a working capital facility that focuses on African agribusinesses, in conjunction with KfW and Root Capital.
- In partnership with the Mastercard Foundation, a Smallholder Development Unit is created.
- AgDevCo office in Uganda opened.
- AgDevCo makes its first investments in Uganda and Rwanda.
- Satellite office opened in Sierra Leone.
- AgDevCo adjusts investment strategy to bring itself to sustainability whilst preserving impact-focused approach.
- AgDevCo makes its first investments in Sierra Leone and Kenya.
- DFID confirms additional funding support for AgDevCo through to 2023.
- AgDevCo celebrated its 10-year anniversary.